Monday, April 24, 2006

Best Way to Advertise Your Upcoming Record Release? JDate

I just got a press release about Chad Love (not Chad Lowe), a hip-hop artist who is taking advantage of the "enormous web portal" at JDate to promote his upcoming album. (Visit his site for samples, a theme that borrows heavily from the Six Million Dollar Man and the Terminator--and a bit from The Lion King--and a creepy graphic of the artist as his sunglasses seem to blink at you in an indication that he may be becoming Jeff Goldblum in The Fly.) His PR people are calling him a "Crossover where all ethic [sic] backgrounds can take center stage in creating new visions using past inspiration in the hip-hop world." That's right...JDate is the new MySpace for somewhat Jewish artists. Um, isn't this illegal? I went to the Terms of Service to find out. While they do impose a 30-message a day limit to protect members against people who might use the site for spam solicitations, the only other limit on what's in the communications is "You will not engage in advertising to, or solicitation of, other members to buy or sell any products or services through the Service." Technically speaking, Chad Love's people are promoting him, which is one technical step removed from contract violations. Maybe. I'm still not convinced. In any rate, the move makes sense at least in terms of language. Firstly, his name is "Love," so I get the theoretical connection to JDate as a place that one might (theoretically) find love. Secondly, in record terminology, he's gonna drop the record like it's hot, and people on JDate get dropped all the time like hot potatoes. So poetically, I'm on board with it. And after seeing the dude and hearing his tunes, you know the dude's Jewish--he sounds like Derek Zoolander. The site describes him as an Italian Jue, a "Pizza Bagel", and someone who grew up in "an upper-class suburb of New York City." But that don't mean he ain't keepin' it realz, yo. Does he roll on Shabbos? Probably, because it's hard out there for a pimp.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think it's creative how he used JDate to get people to learn about him. I'm in marketing and think it's very jewish of him to make that move. I wish him luck in his new career.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think it's creative how he used JDate to get people to learn about him. I'm in marketing and think it's very jewish of him to make that move. I wish him luck in his new career.

Anonymous said...

I love Chad Love's 9-11 Song. I hope he continues to make music. Did you you he also owns a really cool art company... Check it out www.art4love.com

Anonymous said...

Chad Love is a great artist. I think what he is doing is cool.

Anonymous said...

Chad Love is a fucking leader of a new way to use music to communicate the past pain of the jewish community. I hope everyone in the world listens to his ghettocaust song. I love this artist and I hate hip hop. lol.

Sara.