Thursday, April 07, 2005

The More You Know, JDaters Anonymous-style

A friend wrote me yesterday about a friend of hers. I'd file this under "Be Careful" and "The More You Know." And just to clarify, I'm not saying that this kind of thing only happens on JDate. It just pays to be careful. Last week a friend went on a JDate. It was a her first date with the guy. He took her to dinner and a bar. He walked her home and asked to use her bathroom. She let him up and he proceeded to brutally rape her. The DA is working on the case so I can't reveal much but I do want to warn you. His name is Devon or Devin, he's 33 and lives in Brooklyn. Apparently his profile is still up but I don't know what it is. Please be careful and don't let anyone up to your apartment if you do not know him!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I hope jdate gets notified about this at some point they should delete and ban him.

All the best wishes to your friends friend.

Roz

Anonymous said...

Your site is great, both for the humor, the great stories, and for the important updates like this.

Gatsby said...

What an awful story!
It's a good idea to be careful inviting anyone over your house that you don't know well whether you met them on jdate or at synagogue.

Tamara said...

I have to agree with Gatsby. People often tell me that the jdate thing is scary. My retort is always, "Let's say you go to a bar, meet a great guy, you give him your number, maybe have him pick you up to go on a date" You see, I'm much more cautious with the internet. Rules are important, such as: don't give out your home phone number, at least not initially. There is no reason for a new person to know where you live, especially if you live alone.

Thanks for the post!

Lyss said...

Co-workers of Ted Bundy were shocked at his arrest, always thought him too nice to hurt a fly. Looks can be deceiving.

Lyss said...

Co-workers of Ted Bundy were shocked at his arrest, always thought him too nice to hurt a fly. Looks can be deceiving.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about what happened. I have been on Jdate and have had women over on the first date (treated them as a gentleman should).

It's people like that that ruin for the good ones.