Thursday, June 10, 2004

TV IS LOVE

Of course, I'm in love with my TV, that goes without saying. But this is something different: a new dating TV channel in Israel. Here's an excerpt from Viva Sarah Press's article in the Jerusalem Post (you may have to register to access the article in its entirety): Lying about one's looks when it comes to TV is a hard thing to do - as each participant on the new dating service will feature in her or his own self-promoting video clip. The two-to-three minute clips, done in interview format, will be broadcast around the clock and will cost approximately NIS 480 to make. Subscribers who want to view the channel at home will have to pay NIS 35 a month for the service. Everyone will receive an intranet post box through which to communicate with potential partners. As opposed to Internet dating where everyone and anyone can peruse a profile on line, Klika's service can only be accessed by subscribers. And to be a subscriber of Klika, one has to show his ID card to prove he is who he says he is. "You can get a picture on the Internet that is five years old," says 32-year-old Ganor, who has on line dated on-and-off for three years. "The video is current. JDate.com, even with a picture, is still a blind date. Here, I can choose the videos to watch. I don't see TV personals as a blind date." And that's exactly what Klika is about. "We're trying to take the blind out of date," says Arieli, 39. "On the Net, you're in a fantasy world. You never know what the person looks or sounds like until you actually meet him. I'm single and it's easier for me to date someone having already seen him." For Ganor, who recently returned from abroad and is between jobs in the hi-tech field, that the television medium enables interaction is a bonus. "I'm very cynical and I see people don't understand what I write," she says. "The Internet is flat. There's no tone on the Web." I just keep remembering that the camera adds ten pounds. And I know that unless people have professional makeup and hair crews working on them before air-time, people look different on TV than they do in real life. So, as usual, I'm skeptical. But we'll see what happens, if this takes off in Israel and if (a big if) it ends up migrating to the States.

No comments: